Magnetic Bird Defender
This new invention for repelling birds magnetically uses swing magnet motion pushing the magnet in every direction in response to the wind generating a varying magnetic field.
Birds such as crows, sparrows and pigeons can be troublesome, scavenging garbage, pecking at crops on farms and dropping feces. Research has found that birds sense terrestrial magnetic fields and use such fields in locating their position. When they detect magnetic fields different from and stronger than terrestrial fields, they become fearful and disoriented and take aversive action. Thus, birds tend not to approach any area where there is a magnetic field stronger than the terrestrial magnetic field.
Scientists are not entirely sure how birds navigate. Birds seem to have an internal global positioning system (GPS) that allows them to follow the same pattern every year. Claims of tiny amounts of iron in the neurons of a bird’s inner ear and beak also help in this determination by always pointing the bird due north. Taking advantage of the above factors, our Magnetic Bird Defender pulls that iron changing the birds’ natural direction north, thus confusing and repelling the birds.
Our magnets are placed and aligned providing magnetic fields in various directions and increase the effective magnetic range of the device. When the unit is rocked in the wind, a fluctuating magnetic field is generated which effectively causes birds to lose their sense of direction repel them and prevent them from entering or nesting in your space.
- Unit does not harm birds, pets, people or the environment.
- No maintenance or electrical power is needed, just hang up.
- The device costs nothing to operate or maintain.
- Install the unit in a spot where the presence of birds is a problem.
- Inside of a balcony, backyard tree branch, or hang over a boat:
- Height of 8 feet: covers approximately 25 feet in radius
- Height of 12 feet: covers approximately 35 feet in radius
- Install with a non-magnetic pole and string.
- If there is a magnetic object, install the unit as far away as possible from the object.
- Install to allow for wind rotation so the maximum magnetic potential is emitted, and the reflection of
- light off of the holographic surface works as an addition deterrent.
- Remember to remove bird’s nests and clean up the droppings completely with detergent.
- It may take one to two weeks before the birds start to avoid the area.
- Do not attempt to dissemble the unit.
- This device emits a magnetic field and may interfere with the normal function of cardiac pacemakers
- Keep two feet away from computers, magnetically coded credit cards and any other magnetically coded items as damage or de-coding may occur.